Burst main, Exeter
A burst on an 18 inch water supply pipe was discovered at breakfast time today
- A burst on an 18 inch water supply pipe was discovered at breakfast time today in the grounds of Exeter University.
- Because of the burst, customers in properties in the following areas of the city may be experiencing loss of water or low pressure:
- the city centre
- St James
- Topsham Road
- SWW have staff on site who are working to repair the main as quickly as they can - but because of the size and location of the main, the repair could take some time.
- In the meantime, we are re-routing supplies through re-valving of the water distribution system in Exeter.
- Although we hope this will get supplies back to some of the affected areas, there may be some discoloration as a result. Customers should not be concerned about this, as it is just the result of sediment in older cast iron pipes being disturbed by a change in flow.
- Extra lines to SWW's customer calls centre have also been opened to handle calls about the situation today.
- Anyone with special needs for water can call free on 0800 169 1144.
- - ENDS -
- For further information please contact Paul Breakwell, Publicity & Information Officer on 01392 443021.
Published: 30 October 2000