South West Water achieves the 'gold standard'
At a ceremony held in the House of Commons on Monday, South West Water beat off stiff competition from Yorkshire Water and South East Water to claim the Gold Green Apple Award - recognising the efforts the company is making to help businesses reduce their water use and save money.
The award was presented by the Green Organisation, an independent environmental group dedicated to recognising, rewarding and promoting environmental best practice around the world.
South West Water's Business Customer and Conservation Manager, Rob Wynn, said: "By helping to raise awareness of sustainability issues and by promoting the reduction of water consumption and wastage, we have been able to help businesses cut their costs.
"We have seen many instances of businesses, large and small, taking the green agenda to heart and it has been a pleasure to work with them and provide them with the necessary tools to save money and reduce their impact on the planet."
Monica Read, Customer Service Director for South West Water, added: "South West Water has a strong track record as an environmental champion and this award is further recognition of our commitment to sustainability.
"We're passionate about our water and we hate to see it wasted so it's been a real pleasure to work with business customers who share our vision of using water wisely and saving money, carbon and the environment at the same time."
South West Water now waits to discover if it has been put forward for the prestigious European Business Awards for the Environment.
Published on: 11 November 2008
Notes to editors
Key to South West Water's success in the Green Apple awards is the extensive suite of packages put together to help businesses monitor and manage their water usage.
A range of services is now available:
- The Water Efficiency Calculator - an online interactive monitoring tool that displays a graph showing Water Consumption at Production Unit level.
- BusinessAccounts Online - a service provided by South West Water which allows completely secure online access to account information for business customers.
- Flow Monitoring - enables businesses to improve efficiency by measuring consumption against performance benchmarks.
- Water Audit - a Water Conservation Adviser can carry out a water review at a business premises. Specific advice is given on any initiatives identified during the visit that would help to reduce water consumption.
- The Water Efficiency Certification Scheme - a three level scheme providing a tangible reward that demonstrates how water efficient a business has become.
- An Embedded Carbon (eCO2) Tool - displays the eCO2 impact relating to water and waste water consumption.
- Trade Effluent Information - and MOGDEN calculator for modelling the financial impact of on-site waste treatment.
Richard Power and Juliet Ware from Exeter's Silversprings Hotel were awarded the first 'exceptional' certificate of the Water Efficiency Certification Scheme. Please see: http://www.southwestwater.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=4118
The Silversprings has halved its water usage and reduced its carbon footprint. As well as attaining the new water efficiency award, it has also achieved the Gold Standard of the Green Tourism Business Scheme.