Developer services

Developer services

Site search

Charges announcementIMPORTANT NEWS  - Codes for Adoption (sewerage) consultation is currently open. Closing date is 23 January 2019. Please click here to find out more.

Our dedicated Developer Services team provide a cost effective service to any scale of development, from new domestic and commercial developments to agricultural or replacement water supplies.

The options below will take you through each of the steps to ensure the right connection is made in a timely manner.

Frequently asked questions

Developer services

Developer Services FAQs View all


How can I contact you?

You'll find all of our contact information here, which includes our most frequently asked questions, arrange a free call back form and our telephone numbers.

What do I need to do when I move house?

Let us know you’re moving online by completing one of the following forms: New Customer, Returning Customer, Moving within the South West Leaving the South West Or we’ll call you back if you prefer. Please complete the details in our Arrange a free call back section on this page. Metered propertiesIf you’re moving from or into a home with a meter, we’ll need the readings from all the meters on...

How much water does an average person use?

The national average annual usage figures have been taken from The Consumer Council for Water and are listed below:   Yearly water use in Cubic Metres m3 Number of people living in your home Low use Average use High use 1 45 66 100 2 55 110 136 3 82 136 175 4 110 165 210 5 136 182 245 6 155 200 265 1 cubic metre = 1000 litres Your usage may be lower or higher for different...

Where can I find plans of pipework in my area?

For location of private pipework in your area contact your local District Council or check your house deeds. If you are a land or property owner you can request an asset plan by emailing Source for Searches.  For solicitors/conveyancers looking for a water and drainage search (CON29DW) can find more information at Source for Searches. You can visit us at our head office in Exeter between 9am and...

Building near to

Can I build over a public sewer?

Yes, if your extension or proposed building work is over or within 3 metres of a public sewer or lateral drain, you’ll need to let us know. You’ll need to check our guidance notes to ensure you meet the criteria and if so, complete the Declaration of works form online and return to us by email. If you’re unable to meet the criteria, you can complete the Enquiry to build over/close to public...

Can I build over a water main?

No, you are not permitted to build within 3 metres of a public water main as we must have unrestricted access to repair, maintain or renew our main when required. There are further details of an alternative process (water main diversion) within our Guidance notes.

Why do I need permission to build over or close to a public sewer?

We need to approve your proposal of works (even if you have already had planning permission granted) as your building could cause damage or prevent access to the sewer. Some conservatories and minor works don’t always need planning and/or building regulation approval, but if you plan to build over or close to a public sewer please contact us for advice. You'll find more information here.

What if my extension was built over a private sewer before 1 October 2011?

If the property was built before the transfer of private sewers to us on 1 October 2011, the works are legal as there would have been no need for approval before this date. There's more information here on building over a public sewer after this date.

New water connection

Can I separate my shared supply?

Yes, if you would like to separate your supply from a shared supply you can apply for a new connection. We’ll give you a 20% discount (up to a maximum of £250) on our charges for the work that’s required to install and connect our part of the new supply pipes to the water main. For any alterations required on your private supply or plumbing, you’ll need your own plumber. Approved plumbers can be...

How deep does my pipework need to be laid?

If you or your contractor are laying your own supply pipe, it needs to be laid: A minimum depth of 750mm of coverA maximum depth of 1350mm of cover  (We wouldn’t recommend any particular depth, as long as it’s laid within these depths) Approved plumbers can be found through WaterSafe or on the Water Industry Approved Plumber Scheme WIAPS.

How do I get a new or replacement water connection?

Take a look at our new or replacement water connection pages to find more information about this service, including how to apply, an explanation of the process and charges. When you've completed our application form, we'll contact you in writing within 5 calendar days of receiving it. Following this we will contact you to arrange a site survey. If you require new supplies for more than 2...

How do I pay for my new water connection?

You can pay by: Credit/Debit Card – 0344 346 2020 (between 8:30-4pm Monday – Friday) Please allow 1 working day for payment to process BACS Lloyds TSB Bank PlcCity Office, Corporate & InstitutionalPO Box 72Bailey DriveGillingham Business ParkKent ME8 0LS Bank Sort Code 30-00-02Bank Account Number 00456492Bank Account Name - South West Water Ltd, Collection AccountFor reference, please enter ‘NC’...

View all