Charges announcementIMPORTANT NEWS  - With effect from the 1 April 2018 the way that Developer Services charge for their work is changing. Please click here to find out more.

Diversion of water mains

Banner image

If your development site currently has a public water main within it, a diversion may be required to allow your development to progress.

Anyone with an interest in any land which contains a water main or associated apparatus has the right to request the alteration or removal, including diversion (generally referred to throughout this document as diversion) of that apparatus to accommodate proposed improvement of that land. This right is granted by Section 185 of the WIA91, and extends to anyone with an interest in adjacent land where the presence of water mains or apparatus would hinder proposed improvement. This does not apply to water mains in any public highway.

It should be noted that we do not allow building over any water mains or associated apparatus.

To divert a water main you’ll need to complete our Water supply (mains and supply) and diversion application form. We have Guidance notes to assist in completing the application.

How can we help

Quickly find what you are looking for...

Developer services View all
View all