What do I do if I have been flooded by sewage?
Step 1: Call us on 0344 346 2020 – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Step 2: Call your insurance company if your home is flooded internally
Step 3: We’ll help you clean up and aim to start work within 4 hours
Step 4: We’ll investigate and provide you with a contact to talk to
Step 5: We’ll talk to you about the progression of our investigation and cause of the flooding
Step 6: If we know you’ve been affected by sewage flooding, we’ll send you payment as set out in our Customer promise.
Health precautions to take
- Avoid contact with sewage and wear protective clothing taking extra care to cover any cuts.
- Wash your hands after exposure and wash footwear with a mild disinfectant.
- Keep children and pets away from contaminated area.
- Dispose of any food crops growing in the area (wait at least 6 months to replant crops)
- Call your GP immediately if you swallow any contaminated material or suffer with vomiting or diarrhoea following the flooding.
Other things to consider
- If your gas meter or appliance has been submerged, contact the British Gas emergency number before switching on or lighting any appliance.
- If your electricity meter, fuse box, socket or appliance has been submerged, contact your electricity supplier for advice before using any electrical equipment.
- Make sure you’re property is well ventilated leaving windows open as much as possible. Airbricks under floor spaces should be unblocked to help air flow.