Trade effluent services
Customer Guide to Trade Effluent
What is Trade Effluent?
Trade Effluent is any liquid waste, other than surface water and domestic sewage that is discharged into a public sewer from premises being used as a business (e.g. manufacturing, laundrettes, car washes, food processing etc).
It may be waste water contaminated with materials such as:
- fats, oils and greases
- heavy metal rinses
- food wastes
What is not considered by South West Water to be Trade Effluent?
- domestic sewage which includes wastewater from kitchen sinks, showers and toilets
- wastewater from hospitals, hotels, caravan sites, restaurants or educational establishments
What is changing and how will this affect me?
From April 2017, eligible non-household customers (e.g. businesses, charities or public sector) mainly in England will be able to choose who supplies their water and wastewater (also known as 'sewerage') retail services. Retail services include things like water meter reading and customer services. South West Water (Wholesaler) will invoice the Retailer with the wholesale water and sewerage charges. Customers will receive their water and sewerage service bills from the Retailer.
The eligibility criteria have been defined by the UK Water Regulator; Ofwat. Household premises are those in which, or in any part of which, the principle use of the premises is as a home. Non-household premises are those which do not fall into this category.
South West Water's Trade Effluent objectives
To ensure that mixed sewage can be effectively treated by the processes at the receiving waste water treatment works in order to:
- protect the environment
- protect public health
South West Water has a legal responsibility to control effluent discharge to the public sewer.
- Trade Effluent Support Technician (09:00 - 17:00)
- Tel: 0344 248 1489
- Email: email@example.com
- Out of Hours Line (Emergencies only, out of hours 17:00 - 09:00, Weekends and Bank Holidays)
- Tel: 0344 346 2020
Contact us to request the following forms:
- Consent application
- Request to re-instate, vary, discontinue or terminate a consent
- Private meter details form - to be submitted to SWW should the meter be replaced or exchanged